Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Seven Days....

NO, I've never seen that movie, but I think it's fun to quote that line.

It's Seven Days til Christmas folks! Yes, I just said, "folks." Which when pronounced, does not have an 'L.' If it does, ya ain't from round here. "Here" is north Alabama. Where it's a sunny 59 degrees, and little chance of a White Christmas in sight. However, we can dream, can't we.

In all actuality, the one White Christmas we've had in nearly a century (2010), though amazing and a dream come true, was not much fun. You see, there are no snow plows in Alabama. We have no need for them. Therefore, when it does snow, we shut down. Entirely. And wait for the next day, when it will have inevitably melted. Nonetheless, shutting down on Christmas Day really wasn't all that much fun. Several gatherings were cancelled and couldn't be rescheduled. So, in all honesty, once was enough for me. I'd rather be able to actually go celebrate Christmas with family, than have a White Christmas while I'm stuck inside. Don't get me wrong, 2010 was our first Christmas as a married couple and was simply magical to have that special, get-up-and-it's-snowing, hey-it's-also-Christmas feeling together. But, it's not something I need every year.

What I do need every year, is Christmas music! And lots of it. So, while my cat tries to open the Christmas presents... or vanquish the terrifying train around the tree, I shall share with you some of my favorite Christmas songs. Maybe they'll help you get in the Christmas mood. You only have Seven Days...




First, an obscure song that's played at my parents' every year while we decorate the tree. Such a silly song, but SO much fun!

Yah Dis Ist Ein Christmas Tree- Mel Blanc



Because Karen Carpenter is Awesome, you get two from her:

Home for the Holidays- The Carpenters


Really, the entire Carpenters Christmas Portrait album is fantastic. It was hard to choose just two, and I can't really call these my favorites because almost all of them are favorites from this album.

Merry Christmas Darling- The Carpenters


For a little (law-abiding) joyriding...

Little St. Nick- Beach Boys


Because we all love Brenda Lee, whether we know it or not, and we all wish for a little snow.

Marshmallow World- Brenda Lee


And another... (See, I told you. You love her. You just didn't know it.)

Rockin Around the Christmas Tree- Brenda Lee


For a little romance... and duet:

Baby, It's Cold Outside- Johnny Mercer and Margaret Whiting


I love duets. And I love Bing Crosby:

Silver Bells- Bing Crosby and Carol Richards


For heartbreak... with a little bounce.

Last Christmas- Cascada


Straight out of the Rudolph movie. Brings back memories.

Holly Jolly Christmas- Burl Ives


My husband insists I sing the back-up on this song. He will sing his part over and over and over, until I chime in. He's really very pushy about it. It's tradition.

Snowflake- Jim Reeves


A little Judy Garland, anyone?

Have Yourself a Merry Little Chrismas- Judy Garland


Really, what music list can exclude Elvis? It just can't. Here's the King, without Martina McBride sticking her two cents in.

Blue Christmas- Elvis Presley


Here's a little energy boost to send you on your cheery way! (Be sure to try to hit that high note! Good luck!)

All I Want for Christmas is You- Mariah Carey


Clearly, these are not ALL of my favorite Christmas songs. How could they be? There are so many to choose from! However, if I counted correctly (and it's very possible I didn't), here's 14 of my favorite Christmas songs. So, you have 7 days to get in the Christmas mood. Take two and call me in the morning.

Merry Christmas!

No comments:

Post a Comment